A Team of Trusted Vascular Experts at Lam Vascular & Associates
At Lam Vascular & Associates, we’re very proud to be Dallas’ trusted comprehensive vascular surgery practice since 2009. In that time, we’ve grown from one location and one vascular surgeon (Dr. Russell Lam) to four locations and six amazing vascular surgeons.
We attribute this systematic growth to a few key things. Foremost is an unwavering commitment to the pillars of compassion (treating patients with the warmth and kindness they deserve). Secondly, innovation (staying on top of and investing in technology to allow for the most state-of-the-art, minimally invasive care possible). Beyond that, our commitment to education for our valued patients is something that sets us apart from many other practices.
At Lam Vascular, we want our patients to fully understand their condition and treatment options. Then, with the help of our team of vascular experts, make the decision that is best for their unique situation. For this reason, we’d like to take this opportunity to cover the basics of vascular surgery. Additionally, we want to answer some of the most frequently asked questions we hear from patients.
What is Vascular Surgery?
Vascular surgery is a surgical specialty focused on treating the blood vessels of the body, with the exception of the vessels of the heart and brain. A vascular surgeon may perform procedures on the arteries and veins in many areas of the body, including arms, legs, organs and other tissues.
Your primary care physician may refer you to a vascular surgeon for conditions such as Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD), venous insufficiency or varicose veins. In other cases, you may need a vascular surgeon after a traumatic injury or another medical emergency, such as an aortic aneurysm or carotid artery disease.
Is a Vascular Surgeon the Same as a Cardiovascular Surgeon?
Short answer; no. Every part of the body works in its own unique way and is affected by different things. Vascular surgery is a very different specialty than cardiovascular surgery.
Vascular diseases and surgery have to do with the way blood is pumped around the body. Any surgical procedure carried out on veins and arteries away from the heart is referred to as vascular surgery. Vascular surgeons work on the removal of blood clots and bypasses of major veins and arteries that have become blocked.
Cardiovascular surgery can be described as any surgical procedure carried out on the heart and its major vessels carrying the blood. This includes heart transplants, heart bypasses and open heart surgery.
Who are the Top Vascular Surgeons in Dallas?
The expertise of our team of vascular specialists led by Dr. Lam has led us to be highly regarded and awarded on a local, state and national level. We are proud of the recognition we receive. And we never lose sight of our shared commitment to compassion, innovation and education.
We’re especially proud to know that many of these awards are peer nominated. That means we are the doctors other doctors would choose for themselves and their loved ones. When you choose Lam Vascular & Associates, you can be confident knowing you’re in good hands.
What Vascular Services Does Lam Vascular & Associates Offer?
We’re so glad you asked! Lam Vascular & Associates is your go-to for comprehensive vascular care with special expertise in the treatment of Peripheral Artery Disease with minimally invasive techniques at The Limb Salvage Center.
The Limb Salvage Center is a unique and state-of-the-art facility designed to help you fully understand your options, and with guidance from Dr. Lam and the Lam Vascular & Associates team of specialists, choose the right treatment plan or procedure for you.
Many vascular centers specialize in a specific subset of procedures. At The Limb Salvage Center at Lam Vascular & Associates, the goal is to provide a range of treatment options and partner with you to help you decide which treatment or therapy is ideal for your specific situation. PAD procedures that were previously performed in a hospital can now be performed in a comfortable, convenient outpatient setting.
Services and Treatments include:
- Diagnostic Testing. The first step in treating vascular disease is first knowing it is there. That’s why we offer state-of-the-art testing, including Ankle Brachial Index (ABI) and doppler testing, performed by experienced vascular specialists for the accurate diagnosis of a variety of conditions.
- Angioplasty and Stenting. This is a proven successful procedure that helps restore blood flow to restricted arteries. Angioplasty is a procedure in which a thin, flexible catheter is inserted through an artery and guided to the place where the artery is narrowed. Once there, a small balloon inflates for a short time. The pressure presses the plaque against the wall of the artery to improve blood flow. In most cases, a small, expandable tube called a stent is put in place at the same time. Reclosure of the artery is less likely to occur if a stent is used.
- Laser Atherectomy. In this procedure, a catheter is again placed within the artery. But this time, instead of using a balloon, there is a small high-energy ultraviolet light used to break up the plaque blocking the artery. No stents are necessary since the plaque has been removed from the artery.
Some conditions, like Carotid Artery Disease or an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA), are too complex for a minimally invasive procedure. And in these cases, a hospital-based surgery is recommended. Procedures performed at Texas Health Resources by Dr. Russell Lam and our other renowned surgeons include Carotid Endarterectomy, Carotid Stent Placement and Femoral, Popliteal, Tibial, Aortic and Subclavian Bypass Grafts.
At Lam Vascular & Associates, we are also trusted experts in the treatment of varicose veins.
The Vein Center at Lam Vascular & Associates is a dedicated center housed at our Dallas location, we use advanced diagnostic testing and the very latest, proven methods for treating varicose veins. Our state-of-the-art center is completely dedicated to your vein health.
Services and Treatments include:
- Diagnostic testing. An evaluation at The Vein Center at Lam Vascular & Associates is non-invasive and involves the use of ultrasound to look at the size and flow of the veins.
- Radiofrequency Ablation. RFA is a minimally invasive procedure to treat varicose veins. It uses radiofrequency energy to heat up the affected veins via a thin, flexible tube. This causes blood to stop flowing through the faulty vein, rerouting it to healthier veins. The problem vein will shrink and fade away, improving overall circulation.
- Sclerotherapy. Often considered the treatment of choice for small varicose veins, sclerotherapy involves injecting a solution directly into the vein. Then the solution causes the vein to collapse, forcing blood to reroute through healthier veins. The collapsed vein is reabsorbed into local tissue and eventually fades. After sclerotherapy, treated veins tend to fade within a few weeks to a month or more.
In the event that your venous condition is more serious, we may recommend a hospital-based surgical procedure like Phlebectomy or High Ligation and Vein Stripping performed by one of our experts.
Your Next Step Matters
Whether you are dealing with a limb-threatening condition like PAD or living with the discomfort of varicose veins, trust the experts at Lam Vascular & Associates. We’ve helped tens of thousands of people just like you regain their health and their lives through our innovative treatments. Meet a few of our happy patients here.